Daily phyiscal activity is great for your health as well as your well-being.
- Use your smart phone, or a fitness tracker/smart watch to record all your steps and activity. Motivate yourself to get more active through competing with others, or aiming to beat your own records!
- Try walking or cycling to work for one day a week and build up from there; did you know that incorporating exercise into your daily routine can be one of the easiest ways to get more active?
- If you drive to work why not try parking further away? This will allow you to boost your steps and daily activity!
- When you arrive at work, try taking the stairs instead of the lift – this will boost your daily steps and increase your heart rate contributing towards your recommended 30 mins of exercise a day.
- Walk or cycle for fun! As well as commuting, remember that walking or cycling can be a fun exercise to enjoy with your friends and family.
For more information and ideas on how you can incorporate gentle exercise in to your daily routine:
Practical Tips to increase physical activity – For practical tips, tools and free apps to improve your lifestyle visit nhs.uk/oneyou
Fun ideas for activities – For fun ideas, recipes, top tips and activities for all the family visit nhs.uk/change4life
Your health matters greatly and in North Yorkshire there are many services that you can access for support and information.
Below is a useful summary of local and national health and wellbeing information for Harrogate:
Healthy Choices is a FREE 12 week programme for 4-19 year olds who are above a healthy weight. One of our healthy lifestyle advisors will work with you and your family for up to 12 weeks, delivering fun and interactive sessions on a whole range of different topics around nutrition, health and lifestyles. For more information click here.
Children’s Centres – You can find out where your nearest children’s centre is, plus what services they offer by visiting northyorks.gov.uk/childrens-centres
Local Health Services – To access more information on your local health services, including GP, urgent care, hospitals dentists, visit NHS Choices
Stopping smoking – Stopping smoking is the single most important thing you can do to improve your health and wellbeing. Free local support is availabe from Living Well Smokefree.
Information, advice and support – The North Yorkshire Community Directory contains local community information, advice and support. Find out more at northyorkshireconnect.org.uk