Harrogate has a long and distinguished history of cycling, being the place where the Cyclists Touring Club was founded in 1878. Today there are a number of successful cycling clubs in Harrogate and the town is also host to the World Cycling Championships in 2019 and also features in the Tour de Yorkshire 2019 route.
Harrogate has a comprehensive network of cycle routes and cycleways including the Nidderdale Greenway which brings cyclists from Ripley to the centre of Harrogate along a traffic free pathway that was once part of the rail network. The Greenway forms part of national cycle trail 67 which continues south past the Harrogate Showground and on to Spofforth and Wetherby where it joins other national cycle routes. To find details of the Sustrans National Cycle Network, visit the Sustrans website.
For more information on cycle shops, clubs and routes, please click the drop down boxes below.
For more information on general cycling routes around Harrogate please download the cycling map:
Cycling is another excellent way of getting around and can offer you several health benefits:
- Low Impact – less strain and injuries than most other forms of exercise
- Muscle Workout – did you know that cycling uses all of the major muscle groups as you pedal?
- Easy – Unlike some other sports, cycling doesn’t need a high level of physical skill.
- Strength and Stamina – cycling can increase your strength, stamina and aerobic fitness.
- Vary your Intensity – Cycling can be done at a low intensity to begin with, even if you’re recovering from injury or illness, but can be built up to a demanding physical workout.
- Fun – Cycling is a fun way to get fit, the sense of adventure and buzz you can get from being outdoors in Scarborough means you a more likely to continue to cycle regularly compared to other physical activities that keep you indoors or require special times or places.
- Time efficient – as a way of getting around, cycling replaces sitting time spent sitting in traffic with healthy exercise and can often be a quicker way of reaching your destination!
Did you know? The best way to build your cardiovascular fitness on the bike is to ride for at least 150 mins every week. You could cycle to work a few days a week, or do a couple of shorter rides during the week with a longer ride at the weekend. You’ll soon feel the benefits. (NHS)
Fancy some company on your ride? Or perhaps you want to ride alongside others to boost your stamina? Below are a list of cycle clubs in the Harrogate area:
Cycle Retail and Repairs
- Spa Cycles – spacycles.co.uk
- Specialized Concept Store – specializedconceptstore.co.uk/harrogate-store
- Stif – stif.co.uk
- AAA Cycles mobile repairs, 180 Kings Road, tel: 01423 508417
- Prologue Performance cycling – prologuecycling.co.uk
- North Yorkshire Electric Bikes - ny-ebikes.co.uk
- Chevin Cycles - chevincycles.com
- Pedalheads, Knaresborough - pedalheadscycles.co.uk
- Resurrection Bikes resurrectionbikes.org.uk
- CorCoach Electric Bikes corcoach.com
- Yorkshire Bike Company- The Yorkshire Bike Company is a mobile cycle maintenance and cycle sales business https://yorkshirebike.co.uk/